Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 Legislation Review
Monday 5th September 2022 marks the beginning of the full review of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017, as specified under section 169 of the legislation*.
We at CF&KC-SA were informed directly by the office of the Minister for Child Protection that the review process seeks input from all priority partners across the child protection sector, including the SA Foster and Kinship Carer community.
There will be a variety of opportunities from the South Australian government for Foster & Kinship Carers, and sector partners, to provide their input on the legislation by way of:
- Community targeted forums
- Accessing the SA government “yourSAy” survey
All communications regarding this process will be available on the SA government “yourSAy” website as of Tuesday 6th September 2022.
Submissions close on Friday 4 November 2022 at 11.59pm
As your independent peak representative body, CF&KC-SA looks forward to developing a detailed submission regarding amendments to the Act, ensuring the voice of Carers is heard and Carer rights are thoroughly embedded in legislation, based on the individual and systemic advocacy efforts of CF&KC-SA. This process will be similar to the whitepaper submission CF&KC-SA developed for the last legislation review, which was delivered to the previous Minister in December of 2019.
CF&KC-SA has established a Board led subcommittee specifically for the Legislation review process with a view to provide amendment recommendations to the Minister accordingly. The subcommittee will draw upon input provided to us by Carers through a variety of opportunities. These opportunities will be communicated to our Carer membership shortly.
We will keep you informed with the legislation review process and our contribution over the near future.
Chief Executive Officer
*Under Section 169 of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017
(1) The Minister must cause a review of the operation of this Act to be conducted and a report on the review to be prepared and submitted to the Minister.
(2) The review and the report must be completed after the fourth, but before the fifth, anniversary of the commencement of this Act.
(3) The Minister must cause a copy of the report submitted under subsection (1) to be laid before both Houses of Parliament within 6 sitting days after receiving the report.